Friday, December 14, 2007

A Bonafide Downpour

I actually feel a little bit bad for posting something that will push Jonathan's hilarious Monkey Nuts down the page, so if you haven't yet seen Monkey Nuts, then please be so kind as to scroll down and look at those, I mean that, first, because this post will not be nearly as entertaining...

When it rains here in Nyeri, it isn't like anything we are used to on the West Coast of the USA. Sometimes you're not sure whether it is raining or you're underwater and there are bubbles rising upward; such is the ratio of air to water. And the raindrops are humongous, not to mention warmer than I am used to! Emilee and I went for a run a couple days ago, and when the first raindrops started falling about 15 minutes from home, I commented that I enjoy running in the rain. God tried to call my bluff about 1 minute later! Of course I smoothly sidestepped his call by clarifying that I do not necessarily like running in the mud. But the truth is that I did enjoy those last 14 minutes more than almost any other 14 minutes of running in my life (one exception being the first run I did here with the kids, a description of which I've been wanting to post for a long time). Weather like that sort of makes you stop worrying about other stuff and just appreciate it. It boosts your adrenaline, heightens all your senses, and makes your whole body come alive from inside to out.

Here are a few pictures I took from right outside our front door during a downpour last week - it had been sunny that morning and I put my shoes outside to dry:

A Bonafide Downpour

2 comments:

josh said...

When I was at Wheaton one of my good friends had grown up in the rift valley. He would talk about playing rugby in the rain, but that it would be so hot that the rain would evaporate again before it hit the ground.

T-Bone said...

It's not even that it's that hot because we're at 6000 feet here - I don't think it has ever been above maybe 82 degrees (or below 58 for that matter). Maybe it's just the directness of the sun's rays that makes the water evaporate so quickly, but it is weird.